Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard: So Much Fun It Should Be Illegal

I just read Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard from IDW, written by Tom Waltz of the recent comic adaptation of Silent Hill.  There, Waltz captured the nerve-jangling spookiness of Silent Hill while adding new layers to the story. Here he does the same for Duke in that the story he gives us is exactly in line with the game (Duke Nukem 3D and especially the new Duke Nukem Forever)-- meaning it is unabashedly aggressive, violent, corny, hypersexual and insensitive. I mean, it's kind of amazing.

Who is Duke Nukem? As written by Waltz, and I think he's got it right, Duke is an oversexed, roided-out megastar modern gunslinger whose many product endorsements have earned him a rock star mansion and all the weapons he can handle. In Glorious Bastard, Duke is recruited by an old woman to return (via time travel) to World War II, where Duke can help stave off a world-threatening alien/Nazi alliance.

Does Duke make crass comments about women? Does he make Snake Plissken look like Cary Grant? Actually, I would kill for a Duke/Snake team-up.

I've read a lot of Waltz's work so I know whereof he writes-- he has completely mind-melded with Duke here, giving us a comic that captures the exact feel of the source material. It's really fun, and I can't wait to read the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment