Monday, February 21, 2011

SNL Backstage-- We need a 'Behind the SNL."

I caught the SNL Backstage special last night, and of course it was the kind of thing I'm a sucker for-- retrospectives, lots of talking heads and clips. In a pinch, that will do. But I can't believe we still haven't gotten what I'd really like to see, an unauthorized version of the same show-- interviews with the cast that could get into the kinds of things these actors like to dish about anyway-- their bosses and co-workers. You'll note that nowhere among the talking heads of last night were Anthony Michael Hall or Janeane Garofalo, and I think hearing some discussion from performers who just didn't click would be great. There was some of this-- Gilbert Gottfried's dissatisfaction with the job, Norm MacDonald's firing-- but I'm yearning for a really good documentary not produced and approved by Lorne Michaels.

No comments:

Post a Comment